Grace Chapel has a rich history of providing sound biblical teaching in Haverford township. Founded in 1908, the original church building sat in a setting vastly different than it does today. Dirt roads lined the landscape and houses were few and far between. There were churches in the outlying area, however, many people did not attend church simply because of the distance.
People in the community saw a need for a local church that offered sound biblical teaching for the whole family. They prayed, and God answered them with a church that has endured for over a hundred years, faithful to its commitments to the Word of God, reaching beyond its borders, and giving praise.
The legacy of Grace is that simple. Faithful people looked to God to meet their needs, and God answered with Grace. His grace and dedication to His word, His world and His praise is what has brought Grace Chapel through the last century, and what will take it into the next.
Our first building was constructed of wood before being dismantled in Bryn Mawr, put on a wagon and drawn by horses to Eagle Road, where it was reconstructed and expanded. Shortly thereafter, in 1913, it began to function as a union church, with 77 charter members, incorporating six different denominations. This early cooperation forced our founders to deemphasize denominational distinctions and focus on the fundamentals of the faith. It also gave our founders a sincere appreciation for the whole Body of Christ.
There soon came a need for a new building, and the property at Eagle and Darby Roads was purchased. The foundation was laid, and the gray stone building was finished in late 1914. This original building is now the back portion of the present sanctuary. The main part of the present auditorium was built in 1924, with other additions being added in both 1934 and again in 1938.
Changes have been made and renovations have been undertaken, but the legacy of grace has always been more than a building; its legacy of providing sound, biblical teaching with Grace continues to remain relevant to this day.